Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Stray glove

In the Bible, in Matthew 18:10-14 you can read The Parable of the Lost Sheep. It tells of a man who has a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away. The man leaves the 99 to go look for the one.

Why would somebody do this? Would somebody actually do that? This parable has always sort of baffled me. But maybe we do what the parable is talking about and we don't even know it.

The other morning I was making my way down from my third floor apartment to my motorcycle. I had a lot of stuff with me as I was about to make my way to work. When I finally made it to my motorcycle I realized I had dropped a glove on my way from my apartment. I left everything I had brought with me in the parking lot next to my motorcycle to go find the missing glove. And when I found it, great joy was mine.

The parable has nothing to do with motorcycle gloves. After I looked in my Bible commentary, I found out the parable has to do with God having concern about his little ones and how we should show concern for others as well. But that is not the point I am trying to make here. The point I am trying to make is that the God's Word does make sense and does reflect our tendencies as humans.

No comments: